Health Care Professionals of Tomorrow Scholarship
Friends of Chinook Regional Hospital and Alberta Health Services Volunteer Resources have created a
scholarship fund celebrating the valuable contributions of youth volunteers.
Two scholarships of $2000 and two scholarships of $1500 will be awarded to assist young persons living
within the hospital’s service area who have volunteered with patients at Chinook Regional Hospital and
are pursuing a program of post-secondary education in healthcare.
Applicants for the Healthcare Professionals of Tomorrow must be
- Planning to attend full time studies in the fall of 2022 through a post-secondary educational program in the health care field, at which the scholarship can be used. (Healthcare field is define as any career in the healthcare field, and is not limited to those careers that provide direct patient care).
- Attending full time secondary studies in the fall of 2022
- An active, registered Alberta Health Services volunteer at Chinook Regional Hospital with at least
40 hours of cumulative, recorded volunteer time between May 1st , 2020 – April 30th , 2022.
- A Canadian citizen or landed immigrant
- 16 – 25 years of age as of May 31, 2022
Applications for group scholarships, and past Healthcare Professionals of Tomorrow scholarship
recipients, will not be considered.
- Applications must be received on or before noon, May 31, 2022.
- Incomplete applications will not be accepted.
- Two scholarships will be awarded to Grade 12 students. The other scholarships will be given to two successful post-secondary students.
- Applications become the property of Friends of Chinook Regional Hospital.
- Unsuccessful applications will not be retained following the decision announcement.
- Friends of Chinook Regional Hospital and/or Alberta Health Services are not responsible for lost, damaged, or misdirected applications. Applications mechanically reproduced or tampered with will be invalid.
- All personal information included in the application will be kept confidential and disclosed only to those parties for the purpose of administering the Healthcare Professionals of Tomorrow scholarship program.
- For questions or further information contact Dan Erickson, Executive Director of the Friends of the Chinook Regional Hospital, at: 403.388.6139, or you may contact the Chinook Regional Hospital Volunteer Resources Department at 403.388.6583 Filomena Laporte-Packer or email@example.com
Who Judges The Applications?
A selection committee comprised of representatives of Friends of Chinook Regional Hospital and Alberta Health Services will select the scholarship recipients. Applicants will be evaluated based on the following set of pre-determined criteria, including, but not limited to:
- the applicant’s demonstrated commitment to volunteering at Chinook Regional Hospital
- the applicant’s reasons for volunteering
- how the applicant’s volunteer work has contributed to Chinook Regional Hospital
- how the applicant plans to meet educational goals related to a healthcare career
- the applicant’s letters of support
Members of the selection committee will remain confidential in order to maintain impartiality.
When Will The Recipients Be Announced?
The selection committee will determine the scholarship winners by June 15, 2022. The recipients will be contacted by June 30, 2022. If a recipient cannot be contacted by August 15, 2022 the scholarship shall be deemed forfeited and an alternate recipient may be selected. All decisions of the selection committee are final and not subject to appeal.
What Is Expected Of The Scholarship Recipients?
The recipients will be required to have photographs taken and participate in interviews for publication in various media. The recipients must be prepared to make themselves available for these purposes between July 1 and August 15, 2022. The recipients must provide SIN numbers for the issuing of tax documents.
How Will The Scholarship Be Given To Recipients?
The scholarship recipient will have until Sept. 30, 2022 to present proof of full-time enrolment in a college, university, training, or apprenticeship program, and to complete the form provided by E.D. (Executive Director) Friends. Upon presentation of the above, a cheque for the scholarship will be sent directly to the scholarship recipient. If the recipient does not present proof of enrolment by the deadline, or does not request an extension, the scholarship will be forfeited.