Health Care Professionals of Tomorrow Scholarship
Friends of Chinook Regional Hospital and Alberta Health Services Volunteer Resources have created a
scholarship fund celebrating the valuable contributions of youth volunteers.
Four scholarships are available to be awarded to assist persons living within the hospital’s service area
who have volunteered with patients at Chinook Regional Hospital and are pursuing a program of post-
secondary education in healthcare. (As outlined in the application guidelines)
Applicants for the Healthcare Professionals of Tomorrow must be
- Planning to attend full time studies in the fall of 2023 through a post-secondary educational program in the health-care field*, at which the scholarship can be used. (*Healthcare field is defined as any career in the healthcare field, and is not limited to those careers that provide direct patient care)
- Attending full time secondary studies in the fall of 2023
- An active, registered Alberta Health Services volunteer at Chinook Regional Hospital with at least 40 hours of cumulative, recorded volunteer time between May 1st, 2022 – April 30th, 2023.
- A Canadian citizen or landed immigrant
Applications for group scholarships, and past Healthcare Professionals of Tomorrow scholarship recipients, will not be considered.
- Applications must be received on or before noon, May 31, 2023
- Incomplete applications will not be accepted.
- Two scholarship recipients will be chosen for graduating Grade 12 students in the amounts of
$2,000 for first place and $1500 for second place.
- Two scholarship recipients will be chosen for post- secondary students in the amounts of $2,000
for first place and $1500 for second place.
- Applications become the property of Friends of Chinook Regional Hospital.
- Unsuccessful applications will be shredded following the decision announcement.
- Friends of Chinook Regional Hospital and/or Alberta Health Services are not responsible for lost, damaged, or misdirected applications. Applications mechanically reproduced or tampered with will be invalid.
- All personal information included in the application will be kept confidential and disclosed only to those parties for the purpose of administering the Healthcare Professionals of Tomorrow scholarship program.
- For questions or further information contact Dan Erickson, Executive Director of the Friends of the Chinook Regional Hospital, at: 403.388.6139, or you may contact the Chinook Regional Hospital Volunteer Resources Department at 403.388.6311 Meagan Piller or firstname.lastname@example.org
Who Judges The Applications?
A selection committee comprised of representatives of Friends of Chinook Regional Hospital and Alberta Health Services will select the scholarship recipients. Applicants will be evaluated based on the following set of pre-determined criteria, including, but not limited to:
- the applicant’s demonstrated commitment to volunteering at Chinook Regional Hospital
- the applicant’s reasons for volunteering
- how the applicant’s volunteer work has contributed to Chinook Regional Hospital
- how the applicant plans to meet educational goals related to a healthcare career
- the applicant’s letters of support
Members of the selection committee will remain confidential in order to maintain impartiality.
When Will The Recipients Be Announced?
The selection committee will determine the scholarship winners by June 15, 2023. The recipients will be contacted by June 30, 2023. If a recipient cannot be contacted by August 15, 2023 the scholarship shall be deemed forfeited and an alternate recipient may be selected. All decisions of the selection committee are final and not subject to appeal.
What Is Expected Of The Scholarship Recipients?
The recipients will be required to have photographs taken and participate in interviews for publication in various media. The recipients must be prepared to make themselves available for these purposes between July 1 and August 15, 2023. The recipients must provide SIN numbers for the issuing of tax documents.
How Will The Scholarship Be Given To Recipients?
The scholarship recipient will have until Sept. 30, 2023 to present proof of full-time enrolment in a college, university, training, or apprenticeship program, and to complete the form provided by E.D. (Executive Director) Friends. Upon presentation of the above, a cheque for the scholarship will be sent directly to the scholarship recipient. If the recipient does not present proof of enrolment by the deadline, or does not request an extension, the scholarship will be forfeited.